Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Timing is Everything

When I moved to Iowa I left behind my washer and dryer. TopDad had purchased a used pair when he bought our house here. The whole time I've lived here I've missed mine. Yesterday, exactly a week before we leave on vacation, the dryer died. I think prayer had kept it going this long, as it has always made a horrible screeching noise and was less than efficient in its work. But I didn't want to spend money on a new one or even a newer one until we were further out of debt.

After I discovered it had died, in the midst of drying a load of bath towels, I put my thinking cap on and pondered alternatives. I did hang the towels on a clothes rack in front of an open window with a slight breeze. I applaud all of you who have clothes lines and hang your clothes out in the sunshine and fresh air. I'd love to do that too, but don't have a clothes line, and my husband hasn't consented to put one up yet. So. I looked online for wooden or metal drying racks that I could make do with. The little wimpy ones are $20, and the big metal ones are over $100, and none are the shape and kind I had in mind. I got up from the computer sort of discouraged and wondering what to do.

Then a prompting came to look on Craigslist. I searched "electric dryers" and came up with a whole bunch. The first one that caught my eye was a newer version of the one I left in Utah, for, get this, $50!! I called and told the guy I wanted it, had cash in hand, and would be there in less than an hour. Just that day they had gotten a new washer and dryer installed and they didn't want to just send the old dryer to the landfill. So they put it on Craigslist hoping someone could get further use out of it.

Thank you Lord, for perfect timing!

1 comment: