Friday, February 13, 2015

Cold Weather, Hot Food

The frigid winter is still very much with us here in Iowa. We got teased with a few warms days, but then the arctic blast returned along with another dusting of snow.


How about a chili recipe that warms the whole body?


Slow-cooker Black Bean Chili:
1/2 - 1 lb. pork or chicken, cut into bitesize cubes (I use whatever pork is on sale, buttefly chops, or country style ribs; I use chicken breasts.)
16 oz. jar of thick chunky salsa
3 15 oz. cans black beans (or equivalent from dry) drained and rinsed
bell peppers - the original recipe calls for 1 medium red; I use whatever I have on hand and make it more colorful with red, orange, yellow and green peppers.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4 - 6 hours, until meat is done (shorter for chicken, longer for pork).
Serve with cornbread muffins. You can also garnish with a dollop of sour cream, and or grated cheese. I like it sprinkled with Parmesan. It is also delicious served over brown rice.


This is a delicious alternative to the ground beef, red bean chili, in fact, I prefer it!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks really yummy! I have a family member that can't have beef, so I love the idea of using chicken or pork instead. Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs!
    Sarah
    sprinklesonmyicecream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete