Friday, February 5, 2016

Friday's Frugal Roundup

I’ve been keeping track of my frugal accomplishments, or the things I’ve done this week (actually the past two weeks) to spend less, not spend at all, or otherwise save money. In no particular order here goes.

Gave TopDad a haircut
Fixed a pair of reading glasses (the arm had fallen off and the hinge was tricky!)
Turned down the heat
Found three future birthday presents at the thrift store (can’t show or tell because the recipients read the blog)
Ground wheat, baked five loaves of bread and made a quadruple batch of cookies.
Froze six bananas that were overripe to use in smoothies
Ate out only once! (TopDad likes to eat out more than I do)
Used up all the leftovers, didn’t waste any food
On sunny days opened all the blinds and curtains to let the sun warm the house
Turned the laundry detergent bottle upside down to drain the last of it, then rinsed it out to get the very last of it for another load; did the same with the dishwashing soap (or detergent)

Some frugal things are so habitual for me that I don’t even think about them, such as measuring dish detergent instead of simply squirting it in the sink; or squeezing the toothpaste tube for a week past when I think it is all gone, then cutting it open and using the very last dregs; drinking tap water instead of bottled; using a silicone spatula to get all the food out of a pan, bowl or container; turning off lights when I leave a room.

I like to read what other people do because there is always some new trick to learn. 

What did you do to save money this week?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome frugal living! I try to live frugally in some ways so that i can spend on the things i really love :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Books and fabric are what I spend money on.

      Delete