Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday's Motivation

Noble and I went to Omaha shopping on Friday. Of course we had to stop at her favorite store, Barnes and Noble, which I enjoy also, but have trouble resisting the siren call of new books.

Here's one I picked up:


You'd think that by age 58 I'd have conquered my weaknesses. You'd think. Sadly, I'm flawed.

I began reading when we got home and think, (believe, have faith, hope) that I can change, conquer my laziness and achieve my goals.

The author's definition is this, "Self-discipline is the ability to do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not."

Brian Tracy writes in a conversational way, very personable and engaging. He includes lots of personal anecdotes and examples. I've read another of his books about leadership. He is a good writer, as well as prolific!

Some more quotes from the book:
Success is not an accident. Sadly, failure is not an accident either. . . . What happens to you is simply a matter of law--the law of cause and effect.
Which reminded me of a scripture--"There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated. And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated. (Doctrine and Covenants 130:20-21)
Study the values you admire. You learn values by studying them closely. The Law of Concentration says that "whatever you dwell upon grows and increases in your life."
Sounds very similar to this verse--"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:" (Proverbs 23:7)

I am making notes in the margins of the scriptures I'm reminded of. It made me think of something I heard or read years ago about the Bible being the greatest motivation and success literature ever. Which make sense because the scriptures are God's guidebooks for us. It's nice though to have someone distill it into a single accessible volume.

So, I'm off to do what I know I should, when I should, even though I don't feel like it! LOL

What motivates you?

No comments:

Post a Comment